Course Title: Media Studies
Exam Board: Eduqas
About the course
The Eduqas specification offers learners the opportunity to develop knowledge and understanding of the key framework concepts of: media language, representation, audience and industry. This acts as an introduction that will underpin the study of the media at KS5. Students will gain the ability to debate important questions about the modern media and the place they occupy in our world.
Although the specification focuses predominantly on the contemporary media, this is contextualised and enhanced through the exploration of significant products from different historical periods. Through studying both established and evolving media forms, learners will gain a real awareness of the role of the media in society and culture.
The study of a range of rich and stimulating media products is central to this specification, working from the product outwards to develop appreciation and understanding of the media. Learners will draw on their existing experience of the media, but will also extend their appreciation and critical understanding through the study of products with which they may be less familiar, including products for different audiences.
How it is assessed
- Component 1: Exploring the Media Written examination: 1 hour 30 minutes 40% of qualification
- Section A: Exploring Media Language and Representation.
- Section B: Exploring Media Industries and Audiences
- Component 2: Understanding Media Forms and Products Written examination: 1 hour 30 minutes 30% of qualification
- Section A: Television
- Section B: Music
- Component 3: Creating Media Products Non-exam assessment 30% of qualification