Food Preparation and Nutrition
Course Title: Food Preparation and Nutrition
Exam Board: AQA
About the course
GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition is an exciting and creative course. The aim of this GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition is it enables students to understand and develop a wide range of preparation skills. It will enable them to understand:
- What food is composed of, why we need it and how it affects our long term health
- How food can be prepared and cooked skilfully and safely to produce delicious and nutritious meals for different people and situations
- What happens to the ingredients in food when you prepare and cook them
- Where food comes from and how it is prepared and sold
- Which foods different cultures eat through the world
- How the food choices people make affect the health and well-being of themselves, their families and the people who produce the food
The unit topics covered during the course are:
- Food, nutrition and health
- Food science
- Food safety
- Food choice
- Food provenance
Studying this course also gives students the opportunity to apply knowledge from other disciplines, including Mathematics, Science, Computing and the Humanities.
How it is assessed
- Written exam: 1 hour 45 minutes, 100 marks 50 % of GCSE
- Task 1: Written or electronic report (1,500 – 2,000 words) including photographic evidence of the practical investigation.
- Task 2: Portfolio including photographic evidence of the three final dishes must be included.