The Student Support Centre (SSC) which forms part of the Student Services Faculty provides the central provision for student welfare within the Academy.
- The person responsible for medical needs is Teresa Day
- The Health & Safety Officer is Michael Williams
- The Academy Counsellor is Michael McCallum
Reporting a student absence
To report your child's absence, please email the Student Support Centre (SSC) at the address below. Please include your child's name, tutor group, the reason for their absence and the anticipated date of their return.
For example, email something such as: "Please could you excuse Joe Bloggs in 8AP from school today as he has been feeling sick all morning. I suspect he will feel better tomorrow and will be attending school unless otherwise stated. Mrs Bloggs (Joe's mother) Mobile: 07877 877 8787."
Attendance and punctuality
The Academy's attendance target is 97%. Regular attendance and punctuality to the Academy and to lessons is essential for all of our students to make good progress, achieve their academic potential and consequently have better chances in life. Attendance is a key performance indicator within the Academy. It is the responsibility of everyone in the Academy community to ensure they achieve this. The Academy monitors the attendance and punctuality of all students and reviews and publishes it internally weekly.
- 98% attendance = fewer than 4 days absent from school
- 95% attendance = fewer than 10 days absent from school
- 90% attendance = 4 weeks absent from school
- 85% attendance = 5 ½ weeks absent from school
- 80% attendance = 7 ½ weeks absent from school (Equivalent to one day per week absence for the whole year).
A child who misses a day of school per week throughout Years 1 – 11 misses an equivalent of over two years of their learning time in school)
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace employs state of the art security technology, in closed-circuit television, which is sited both internally and externally as well as intruder detection systems and access control on its external entrances. The use of CCTV complies with current legislation as does notification signage and labelling. A copy of the Academy's CCTV Policy is available on request.
The Academy also has a modern and comprehensive fire detection system. Access to the main Academy buildings for staff, students and visitors is carefully monitored by the reception team and everyone on site is required to be identifiable at all times so that items such as face coverings (e.g. motorcycle visors, full face goggles or veils) which obscure clarity of identification of an individual must be removed for the duration of a person’s time on site.
Identification badges and lanyards are issued to visitors and photo ID cards are also worn by all staff and 6th Form students. The remainder of students in the Academy are identifiable by their Academy uniform and Faculty ties.
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace is an inclusive community that aims to support students with medical conditions. Student medication is stored in the Student Support Centre (SSC). This department is overseen by Ms Small, with Ms Day being the Medical Needs Officer, responsible for the administration of medicines. Should you have any queries about the medical needs of your child then please email Dayt@harriscrystalpalace.org.uk or alternatively call on 0208 771 2261 and press option 1. It is your responsibility to ensure that the medical needs of your child are clearly communicated to the school so we in turn can care for them appropriately. The medical needs policy and allergy awareness policy that the school adheres to are attached below for your convenience. In addition, all forms that you may need to complete and return are attached in the Medical Forms Folder:
- Form 1 to be completed by all parents/carers
- Form 2 to be completed if your child requires medication to be stored at the academy (consent to administer medication)
- Students with Asthma (form to be completed if your child has Asthma)
- Students who require the use of an Auto Injector (Jext) to be completed, please note a photo is not required
- Students who require the use of an Auto Injector (Epi Pen) to be completed, please note a photo is not required
- Students who require the use of an Auto injector (Emerade) to be completed, please note a photo is not required
- Students who have allergies but do not require an Autoinjector (No Auto Injector required) to be completed, please note a photo is not required
- If your child has an dietary needs (Special Diet Procedure form) to be completed, please note a photo is not required
Please note that it is at the discretion of the Principal to refuse your child’s attendance if we do not have life saving medication on site.