Download our FREE smartphone app today!
The Mathematics curriculum at Harris City Academy Crystal Palace aims to equip students with a broad range of mathematical knowledge to be successful in an increasingly competitive workplace. We are committed to stimulating and inspiring students to be enthusiastic about the patterns and trends in the world around them. Within the department we:
- set the highest expectations for all students regardless of their prior attainment, recognising and celebrating achievements
- are committed to developing students’ mathematical knowledge, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- embed basic numeracy and literacy skills within all lessons to ensure our students become confident literate mathematicians
- create opportunities for all students to access an inclusive and differentiated curriculum appropriate to their individual aspirations
- ensure students become all-rounders in the key strands of Algebra, Number, Geometry & Measures, Ratio & Proportion, and Statistics and Probability.
The Mathematics curriculum is centred upon the “Teaching for Mastery” approach, which encompasses five key principles:
Coherence - connecting new ideas to concepts that have already been understood, and ensuring that these new ideas are used again in next steps of learning
Representation and structure - representations used in lessons expose the mathematical structure being taught
Mathematical thinking - taught ideas need to be understood deeply and not merely be passively received. Students must explore concepts in depth, and be able to reason and discuss with others
Fluency - quick and efficient recall of facts and procedures and the flexibility to move between different contexts and representations of mathematics
Variation - varying the way a concept is initially presented to students through alternative approaches. Practice questions should avoid mechanical repetition so that thinking is encouraged
Full details of the Mathematics curriculum intent, along with the long term curriculum plans are available to download from the bottom of the page.