Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Reading at Home
Within the normal school day, every student has a minimum of 20 minutes of time dedicated to reading. To help encourage this as a continued habit, we encourage students to be reading aloud to their parents/guardians, if they need to study from home.
Please encourage your child to read 2-3 times a day for 20 minutes, if they need to study remotely again. Here are some places where you can find books.
Where to find books
Croydon offers an excellent e-library with an amazing choice of children's and young adult e-books and audiobooks. Find out more.
In addition, here are some websites offering free online books and audiobooks. If you have a subscription of Amazon prime, there is a great selection of free books, magazines and comics available. Here are some websites offering free online books and audiobooks:
- Storyline Online
- Oxford Owl - expert advice, educational resources and free eBooks to support children's learning at home, from Oxford University Press.
- David Walliams daily free audio story for 30 days
- Audible.com - free audible books for all ages:
- Researchify - Word/PDF/Audiobooks of Children’s Classics:
- Project Gutenberg - good for classics
- International Children’s Digital Library
Some students will also have books from our school-library at home.
All students in Years 7-10 have access to Bedrock Learning and should be completing at least two tasks per week. Bedrock is a vocabulary site that focuses on immersing students in academic vocabulary with an interactive online system.
It will build students’ knowledge of vocabulary and how vocabulary is used to convey meaning. Their progress is tracked so that teachers and parents can see how students are improving.
Visit Bedrock website. There is no App available for this at present.